Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Bucket List

There is a show that I really enjoy, its called “An Idiot Abroad.” The show is in the second season and I have to say up front that it is not all together a good show. The basic premise is that Carl the “idiot” is sent all over the world to accomplish difficult and sometimes strange tasks. I like it because Carl approaches the world much like a child; he often asks “what's the point of this?” He is completely irreverent of the sacred and ignorant of culture and custom. His interaction with the unknown initially seems to be crass and offensive., but he makes up for it by being honest and willing (most of the time) to learn.
In the first season he was sent all over the world to the the man-made Wonders of the World. This season is choosing experiences on a “bucket list,” but the thing is, its not HIS bucket list. It is very entertaining if you can get past the fact that he is sent on his tasks and reports back to comedian Rick Gervais who has a maniacal cackle, is one of the rudest people on television and is really not that funny. This got me to thinking about my bucket list.
I came up with some experiences I want to have and some things that aren't really things but more ways of being and living. So here is bucket list as of today.
Alex with a BIG pile of homework after a week off of school
I want to:
  • Make the world a better place by life's actions.
  • Pray on Mt. Hermon.
  • Raise my children to have the desire than the ability to contribute more than they take.
  • Fly as often as possible.
  • Learn to preach so well that I go unnoticed during a worship and the presence of God is the center of attention.
  • Baptize my future grandchildren
  • Lean to understand the complexities of life while living a simple lifestyle.
  • Be surrounded by those that I love all the days of my life
  • Die well when ever that time comes.
I could probably think of a lot more things to do in this life but if I accomplish all of these, I will be most satisfied.   




I recognized that Alex was getting stressed out about his homework
load, so I suggested he go out on a "winter expedition."  Which is
just a more interesting way of saying a nature hike.  As he was getting
ready to head out the door, I handed him my camera and said that if he
found anything interesting or beautiful to take a picture of it.  This is
I found later on my camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment