Wednesday, July 4, 2012

I'm Not Sorry

There are some things I am sorry for. I am sorry that haven't been a better friend to those around me. I am sorry I didn't write those thank you notes to those who feel this is not only a nice thing to do but gesture that is absolutely expected (I must seem terribly ungrateful). I am sorry I didn't call pastor Harry when I knew he was dying (I hope when it is my time, my friends are less cowardly). There are probably many other things that I could come up with. I probably could fill volumes with regrets. However I won't. I don't think it will do any good. The only way it would help is if I could correct a wrong I have committed. If I have offended, please give me the opportunity to make the correction and I will.
There are things that I am not sorry for. I am not sorry that I served six years in the Reserves/Army National Guard. I enlisted not because I believe in global imperialism, or domination-by-strength or any foreign policy that any president may have laid out. I enlisted because I love my country. Not because I think we as a people are superior to any one but because this is my home. I saw that I had strength and ability and I wanted to lend those to the defense of the land that I love. I was willing to die for my country. During my time in service I didn't encounter any real negitivity about it expept for the occasional “you're crazy/I would never to that” kind of comments.As time went on and as I saw the prospect of starting and raising a family I realized that my life could take on a new purpose and so after my six-year enlistment I chose not to reenlist.
Some medals and ribbons I earned while serving.
I have them stored in the basement.
At Central Michigan University Where I was later majoring in Religion with hopes of going on to seminary, a retired pastor at a bible study for students mad the assertion that one cannot be a christian and wear a United States military uniform at the same time. I disagree. In fact that reminds me of another regret. I didn't challenge him on that point. I suppose it was out of a pseudo-respect I had for him. That was the last such bible study I attended.
My decision to serve in the U.S. Armed forces was an effort to be a part of something larger, nobler than myself. I did go on to seminary for similar reasons. I wanted to and still want to give my self. My heart, my soul, my strength and my intellect to the service of God.
I have been surprised to find more overt hostility to my position as a pastor than my service in the Armed forces. Which I can on some level understand. The most famous Protestant figures in American culture are often vapid pretty-boys with a product to sell rather than a message of new life. But that doesn't explain why I occasionally have people, who have never experience me in ministry or heard me preach lay all of their negative assumptions about Western Christianity at my feet. I want to demonstrate love, I want to strengthen relationships, I want people to be free of the things that hold them back. I just happen to believe that the best way to do all of that is through Jesus Christ, and for that. I am not sorry.
I went to the 4th of July parade today wearing a Captain America t-shirt and a cross around my neck. for some reason patriotism and faith combine in my person. They are not dependent on one another. One does not have to have faith to be a patriot and one does not have to be a patriot to have faith. For its about giving my life for the things that I love and for that, again, I am not sorry.   
My little guys playing in Ludington's version of
Central Park.a small amount of green-space
in the midst of downtown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment