Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Your Child's Spiritual Guide

     On election day I set out early with my son Eli to go to the Riverton Township hall to vote.  I was number 60. That seems to be the thing to say nowadays.  The little electronic counter on the machine you feed your ballot into counts you and then you compare with your friends which number you were and what time you where there.  I was a long ballot this time.  lost of bubbles to fill in.  Eli played at my feet, demanded to be held a couple of different times.  We got through it.  Actually I enjoy it.  Voting that is.  I like the illusion that my vote matters.  That somehow by taking the time to do this that my only earthly power is exercised.  Of course we all exercise greater influence through our day to day interactions. We are immersed in our own culture. We are shaped by it.  It defines who we are.  Most of us don't think we have a "culture" it is just normal life. But try living in a different culture for a little while, even if it is just a little different. 
     On election day buried a friend and church member.  She and her husband moved away a few months ago to be closer to family Grand Rapids.  While her graveside service was here in Ludington. The cemetery was right behind the hall where I voted three hours before.  the funeral was the day before in Grand Rapids.  I attended that service as a friend, a mourner, and an observer.  I observed that her family has great faith in God.  I don't say this lightly.  I have officiated many, many funerals where the families "believed" or were "church go-ers" but few had such trust in the promises of the Christian faith as this family does.  It seems to be part of their DNA to trust that she is living eternally in the presence of God.  Other families I have met seem lost, confused, disoriented at the loss of a family member.  This family, though hurting and sad had a calm assurance about them that I admire.
      I was number 60 on the voter tally.  I don't know what my number is when it comes to leaving this world (if you believe in that sort of thing). I do know this: leading my family into a life of faith is a gift that has no equal.  To be able to grieve loss without being destroyed spiritually and emotionally is necessary for survival. 
     A new friend of mine gave me a great idea.  In his home he has his own altar where he centers himself and devotes himself to God.  He has made his home a sanctuary.  I am going to suggest that we all do this.  That we view our homes not just as a place where we sleep and keep our stuff but as a place, a safe place,  where we rest in God's presence continually.  Parents, you are your child's primary spiritual leader and guide.  As a pastor I see kids once a week and it is from a distance.  You are there through it all.  You can gift your child with a framework of understanding that gives some meaning to this life and the life to come. 
     I look forward to exploring this idea of sanctifying the home in the weeks to come. 

1 comment:

  1. this is a beautiful post. Thanks for these thoughts, the suggestion of sanctifying the home is powerful. I love reading your posts because you always make me think more deeply about matters of the heart and spirituality.

    ReplyDelete