Sunday, December 23, 2012

Confident Living in an Uncertain Life

Luke 1:26-45

We are called blessed when we accept the perplexing offer of God. Respond not react.

It is so good to see you all today! The Mayan Apocalypse didn't happen! I suppose you will all have to reinvest in your retirement plans and apologize to your relatives for finally telling them “how it is.” I had joked several times but it really wasn't a joke, that it didn't matter to me a bit if the world was to end on the 21st of December because my heart was right with God. I am far from perfection. I have a long way to go to even get close to that, but I am confident of who I am and who's I am. I have made many mistakes, I have failed at many things. As many of you know, Diane and I owned a restaurant for several years before I went into the ministry. I have to say that that venture was doomed to failure from the very beginning. I am not a business man. I'm not good at it and I never really wanted to be. But those years were a necessary part of my journey.
And now, all these years later, I am here today in this place with you, in this place, worshiping a God that loves us. What could be better? The world didn't end. We still have to deal with the difficulties of this life. Don't get me wrong I welcome the chance to continue the road to perfection. I look forward to the next chapter of life. I can't wait to see what God has for me next because there is always something that is 'next'. But we have to ask the question, how do we face a future that is unsure? How do we live with confidence when we don't know when the end of our life will come?
Looking back over the events of your life, can you imagine how overwhelmed you would be if you knew before hand every challenge that you have faced and have come through? If you knew at the beginning, every loss, every sickness, every hurt it would be near impossible to face a life with all that in store. We can kind of guess what kind of pain we will suffer in the future but we can put that out of our minds because the future isn't really real. If we knew exactly what was going to happen, I believe it would be too much to bear.
About 10-15 years ago I had a realization about the impermanent nature of life. Back then my youngest two siblings were transitioning out of high school. I was living within an hours drive of my parents house and I would frequently go there and we would sit around the fire pit and talk and enjoy each others company. We did this several times during the summer months and it was great. I loved it. My kids loved it. Life was good. The realization came one night as I was driving away with my wife and two kids back to our home in Gowen. I was hit by a wave of sadness over the fact that these weekend get-togethers would not go on forever. I could see where my life was heading, I could see changes happening in my siblings lives. I knew that we were at a high point in our life. I could see that things were going to change and I didn't know what that change was going to look like. I started to mourn the loss even before it was gone. I voiced my feelings to my wife. I remember exactly were I was I was on the corner of Jordan Rd. and Vandecar Rd. I remember this because I always remember when God speaks to me. You see, often times he uses my wife's voice to speak to me. I don't remember her words but I remember the message. “There is nothing to fear. I have even more blessings in store for you.”
Photo by Steve Begnoche of the Ludington  Daily News. 
Yes God. Thank you God. The question remains: How do we face a future that is unsure? We read in God's word this morning the account of Mary's reaction to the Angel Gabriel. The angel, the messenger of God came to Mary and said, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God! Listen: You will become pregnant and give birth to a son, and you will name him Jesus. He will be great, and will be called the Son of the Most High, and the Lord God will give him the throne of his father David. He will reign over the house of Jacob forever and his kingdom will never end.” Notice the angel doesn't mention anything about having to live as a refugee in Egypt. Notice the Angel doesn't mention that her son will be rejected, beaten and executed. The angel does day that he will be holy; he will be called the Son of God.
Mary wasn't afraid even though the angel said not to be. The only emotion was perplexed.

She pondered. She pondered the words of the angel. She went to stay with her cousin Elizabeth who was also pregnant. I presume that the time spent with her cousin Elizabeth was filled with much pondering. Pondering what god had done, what god is asking, what God is growing inside of her. Mary started with perplexity, responded with openness and grew in her acceptance and obedience by pondering. How do we face a future that is unsure? Well like Mary we accept the circumstance that is before us and we ponder God's will for us in this very moment. God's will isn't for us to suffer but it may be God's will that we learn to lean on him in our suffering. It's not God's will that family relationships get strained but it may be God's will that when they are strained we appreciate the value of the relationships we have and we redouble our efforts to cultivate them. God may be asking you to accept a challenge, to face something new, to make a change. God may not be telling you all the negative stuff that will happen, you may only be hearing about the positive things. When I realized that the closeness of my family around the fire pit was only for a season the sadness over what was going to be lost was all that occupied my mind. But when I look back, my life has been a beautiful journey with God that has been full of blessings that I could not possibly have anticipated. I was released from the prison/blessing of business ownership and brought into life proclaiming his word in this way.
When Mary went to stay with Elizabeth, her cousin knew right away that Mary was pregnant with a very special baby. Likewise when we move obediently into Gods will, when we turn and orient our lives toward God, it won't go unnoticed. If you are following God's direction it will be affirmed by Godly people. There will be people who will recognize it as such and it affirm it. So how we we live a confident life in a world that is unsure? We seek the will and word of God in every circumstance and ask, “How will God be birthed into this world through the things He has called us to do? How is God strengthening us and preparing us through the challenges we face?” And we stay in constant communion with our God and with each other through every difficulty.
So How is it with you today? Is your future unsure? Are you afraid? Perplexed? Don't be. God is there. God loves you. And we are all on the journey with you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment