Sunday, February 17, 2013

Imparted Strength


  Luke 4:1-13             

 The scripture today is an interaction between Jesus and the Devil. 
                Now there are some of you who will begin to immediately dismiss what comes next just because I mentioned “the Devil.” It’s not popular to talk about him.  In seminary, the devil is often only referred to as a literary character rather than a spiritual reality.  Intellectuals scoff at the idea as a 2000-year-old superstition.  It is far more in vogue to talk about social injustice and psychological disorders than to consider that there are spiritual forces that are beyond our control or understanding.  When I studied religion at Central Michigan University I was taught several different ways of understanding God other than the way that says that God actually exists. 
                Intellectual pursuits are good.  Understanding through reason is good.  But you can’t expect someone to fully understand something they have not experienced. 
I don’t know who said it but it seems true, “for those without faith, no explanation will be sufficient. For those with faith, no explanation is necessary.”
                Back in 1999, I experienced God in such a way that I could never doubt His existence again.  His presence was so convincing that I started making the transition from self-employed business owner to itinerant pastor.  Within a year I was a full time student again to make that happen.  I was in an English class somehow a discussion about God came up.  The Professor said, “We cannot know for sure if God exists.”
I often wonder how people without sight understand the moon.  The primary way to
experience it is through sight.  One must be completely dependent on another
for a good description to have any experience of it. Likewise how do you adequately
explain God to those who have never experienced God?
Photo by Alex Pohl
                I raised my hand immediately.  “I can.” 
                “Excuse me.” The professor said.
                “I can say for sure that God exists.”
                Who knows what he thought.  He didn’t question my statement. He just went on from there as if I had said nothing.  But before that experience I year previous, I was an earnest searcher of God but I would have agreed with his statement that “no one can say for sure…” But the moment you dip your toe into the ocean you can never deny its existence.
                By gathering together as we do to worship God, we are, on some level, all acknowledging that God is in charge; that God is our guide; That God sets the standard.  We know this and not one of us can say that we are perfect followers of all that we know to be good and true.  We have all failed to live up to our own understanding of what God expects from us.  We are constantly distracted.  We are constantly tempted.  Life as a disciple of Jesus Christ requires attention and intentional living.  Just like being a good friend or a good spouse or a good parent.  We can easily get into the habit of going through the motions in all these relationships.  If I don’t pay attention, even being a pastor can distract me from my relationship with God. 
                God is constantly loving us and guiding us.  When we take that love and guidance for granted and try to add to it or do it our own way, we start to depend on other things for our fulfillment. 
                “I have my friends. They fulfill me.”  It’s good to have friends.
I have my spouse; I have my job; I have my family; I have my kids; I have my hobbies; I have my car; I have my house; I have my boat; I have my cabin; I have my girlfriend; I have my health plan; I have my medicine; I have my chocolate; I have my sassy attitude; I have my superior recycled, granola, eco-friendly lifestyle.  Whatever we look to for fulfillment in that is not God can and will let us down.  And just like a drug addict, when we aren’t finding fulfillment with a little then we will think the answer is a little more; then a little more.  It doesn’t take long before we are slaves to the things of this world.  Jesus offers freedom from this addiction.  
                Remember Jesus went into the synagogue and read from the Prophet Isaiah and claimed that what he read was fulfilled in him?  He said, “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me…He has sent me to proclaim release to the captives…”  That’s us! We are slaves to those things we put our energy into.
                And so we begin this first Sunday of Lent.  If you find fulfillment in chocolate and you have given up chocolate for Lent to focus on God, that’s awesome.  Experience that freedom!  Whether it’s from chocolate or from some other false source of fulfillment cast it aside and live in the freedom that Jesus has won for us. 
                So…How’s your will-power these days?  How are your best intentions working out?  How are those New Year’s resolutions doing?  I don’t know about you but the harder I try or the more I think about making a life change the more difficult it becomes to do so.  Not only are habits deeply ingrained in our person but our family and friends expect us to act in familiar ways.  When we change, it doesn’t mean that they have and they don’t always make the change easy.  
                Even if our friends and family are on board for the change we make in our lives, there is something more.  You ever notice when you resolve to give something up the desire for it increases?  Or when you want to add something like exercise or regular prayer to your life it suddenly seems particularly difficult to get started.  What is that?
                Like I said before people don’t like to talk about the Devil.  Some folk are just too sophisticated to have such simple explanations for things.  What do you want to call it when genocide happens?  What do you call it when someone opens fire on young ones?  You can call it “Negative energy; bad mojo; karma.” Maybe you call it bad luck or statistical anomaly.
                But in the book that we love we read a story of our Lord fasting for 40 days.  He suspended his attachment to the earthly things to find his way spiritually.  At the end of that period the devil came and tempted him. 
                It is always when are at our weakest when the things of this world seem the most appealing.  The devil tempted Jesus with the most simple of foods, bread.  Jesus knew where his fulfillment ultimately lay.  Jesus was clear about who he was.  Jesus identity was secure as the Son of God.  He was free from the slavery to earthly desires and attachments. 
Then the Devil got right to the point.  The Devil wanted Jesus to worship him.  The Devil never had a chance.  Jesus knew that he had already won and one day the devil would bow down to him. 
I imagine the Devil was frustrated and infuriated when he suggested that Jesus should throw himself off the pinnacle of the temple.  Jesus dismissed him with words from scripture.
                                As you grow as a disciple of Jesus Christ you may be tempted to measure your life by your successes and failures.  Don’t do that.  You are God’s beloved child.  When you are tempted, draw near to Jesus. Pray to him. Read about him in scripture.  Seek his presence.  The Devil or whatever you want to call it can’t stand that. You will be distracted from God’s wonderful love from time to time.  When you realize that you have lost your way, just come back.  God isn’t going anywhere.
                So you have given up Chocolate (or whatever) for lent, let me ask you, do you plan to pick up that yoke of slavery again after Easter?
                Would you pray with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment