Sunday, April 28, 2013

How Will They Know?


John 13:31-35
This is the way the church always looks, empty (except for 1 hour on Sundays).
Presumably those who have experienced the love of God are elsewhere while
this place is empty, sharing that love of God with those who do not come to this
place. 


                By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. These are the last instructions; the last lesson before Jesus execution.  Whatever detailed, nuanced teaching Jesus may have offered before, this is the summary, this is the brass tacks. 
                Those of you who have raised children know and I am learning, that you spend a lot of time teaching them things when they are little so that they are equipped to handle the world when they get older.  Then, all too soon, it seems that knowledge it put to the test.  They go off and get drivers licenses. They become interested in a certain other.  They have their own opinions! As they head out the door to whatever they have chosen to face you hope and pray that all the wisdom that you had to offer was learned and all the brokenness you may have passed on can be erased.  It can make a person feel very inadequate compared to the great responsibility that they have been entrusted with. 
                By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. And you do have love for on another.  I see it frequently.  I saw it on Friday.  It was a packed house for Babe Lundberg’s Funeral.  A difficult day but a blessed day because the love of God flowed through His followers and sustains that family in their loss. 
                I see the love you have for each other on Sunday mornings during our greeting time.  I’ve been to Christian gatherings where people greet each other only because it is in the bulletin and only with those seated right next to them.  You all…you mix and mingle and get caught up.  You hug each other; you go out of your way just to shake each other’s hand.  It’s beautiful.  In fact a week ago Thursday we had a gathering in the Activity Center for visioning and discernment about the future of St. Paul UMC.  As part of that I asked those present to write down ideas, things that we could do to transform our ministries here at St. Paul to be more purposeful and closer to the realized kingdom of God in this place.  One of the responses was to let that time of greeting go on as long as people were visiting, not to cut it short.  Loving each other is your impulse.  Loving each other is what you do. 
                By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. Lately I have found myself asking, “How can I be more faithful?  Where can I improve in my service to God?  Where have I become satisfied and therefore complacent?” If I think too long on those questions the list becomes staggering, but the words of one, whom I respect very much, come to mind.  He said, “There are other ways to experience encouragement, fellowship, and the like…often at bars!” This is true.  There is a bar in a small town where I had previously served as pastor that has a pencil sketch of a young man who tragically lost his life.  The owner and patrons of that bar apparently had love for him.  They apparently found fellowship in that place.  They mourned together and presumably comforted each other. The one I was conversing with was referring to our purpose and task as a church to point people toward Jesus Christ and how if we fail at that, what are we even doing? 
So I go back to the scripture for the day. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
We love each other! But how does Jesus tell us to love each other?  He said, “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love on another.”
Just as I have loved you…
I know I am a long way from that.  Jesus fed people, thousands of people.  Jesus healed people. Jesus forgave people.  Jesus taught people.  Jesus told people about what God. Jesus told people about his relationship with God, even though it was dangerous and eventually life-threatening. 
Ultimately the way Jesus loved us is sacrificially.  He loved us in a way that we gained everything and he lost everything. 
So when Jesus said, “By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” That was no small statement.  It isn’t about buying your wife a hallmark card on your wedding anniversary.  It’s about sacrificing yourself for others out of love for Jesus Christ. 
Tim and Tammy Martin, many of you know them.  They are the directors of Hospitality In the name of Christ, The local Homeless shelter.  They give so much time and energy to that ministry and they each get a second full time job that doesn’t pay a dime.  They sacrifice and the guests that come know from the very start that they are Jesus’ disciples, because they tell them.
You ever hear the phrase “preach the gospel always and when necessary use words”?  I don’t really like that.  Because I think words are always necessary.  Friday after Babe Lundberg’s funeral I got a call from a young couple that needed gas.  They had to spend their gas budget this month on an emergency dental procedure.  So I took some of the money that you all gave for John’s eggs and paid for a take of gas.  He knew who he called.  He asked for the pastor.  I could have just left it at that but I told him that the farmer donated the eggs and the people of the church gave money just so that God’s blessing would come to any who would need it.  That young couple knows about your love that came two bucks at a time on Sundays. 
The sacrificial love that we demonstrate can be big or small sacrifices.  For the world to know that we are Jesus’ disciples we do have to love each other sacrificially and we have to tell people of the love of God that is flowing through you.  If you don’t tell them about Jesus sacrificial love, you just might get the credit and not God. 
So, how is it with you today?  Have you ever gotten the credit for God’s blessing? Today is a new day.  Today I invite you to remember all that the Lord has done for you.  I invite you to refocus and recommit yourself to making Jesus the centerpiece of your day and of your life.
Would you pray with me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment