Sunday, January 12, 2014

Those Words!

Matthew 3:13-17

December for our family is a month of birthdays.  My wife, two of my sons and of course Jesus.  Birthday celebrations of all sorts dominate the calendar for the month of December. Now it’s January.  The pace is a little slower.  The weather is colder, the roads are harder to travel, the schedule is lighter.  January is a good month for reflection and reassessment.  How did I do?  How well did I handle the challenge of the holidays? Where did I fall down and where did I succeed? How can I correct my path? How can I repair the damage?  How can I grow from what I have learned? How can I use my life in the coming year to Honor God?
I wrote a couple paragraphs on Facebook this past week reflecting on my baptism.  I wrote a letter to Dr. Neil Bintz, the pastor that baptized me.  I explained in the letter that I posted it on line because, well, Dr. Bintz passed away some years ago and I have never met him outside of my baptism as 5 month old baby.  I have no what he looks like and I have only talked to one person that knew him personally.  And unfortunately that person has passed away as well.  I would have liked to meet him but the fact is that it wasn’t him that did the baptizing it was the Holy Spirit. It’s just that Dr. Bintz was the one who was the willing servant of God who stood in that place and said those words in front of that congregation. It was my parents who took vows on my behalf.  It is God who loves me, who poured out his blessing on me but it was the loving arms of that congregation and many more people throughout my life who have acted out that love.  For that I thanked Dr. Bintz a man I have never had a conversation with.  A man whose understanding of the scriptures I have never been exposed to. A man who’s life I know nothing about.
What if I find out he lived out a life of Christ like perfection in love?  What if I found out that he was a complete fraud?  Does that change the love of God for me?  Does that change my response to God’s love?  Absolutely not. 
Think about your own baptism.  Who baptized you?  Does the character of the one who baptized you shape your spirituality today? Were you baptized as an infant or later in life?  Was it by sprinkling, pouring or emersion, and does that matter to you?  Where did it happen?  Was it here in this place? Was in another church or at a camp or at a lake or a river?  I want you to ponder your baptism story because it is your beginning.  Your baptism is your initiation into the family of God.   Mine happened at Mt. Pleasant First United Methodist.  I have been back to that sanctuary many times.  The large glass windows on one side and the brick wall on the other side.  The large chancel area. The Narthex. Even the entryway and the parking lot, all these places hold many memories for me, both joyous and painful ones. That place is part of my spiritual journey.  That place is a part of my walk with Jesus.
In today’s scripture we read about the place and events of Jesus’ baptism. It was at a river. There were probably a lot of people around. John was teaching and baptizing.  He was preparing people for the coming of the messiah.  Then one day Jesus showed up. They knew each other, probably.  Their mothers were cousins.  Mary stayed with Johns mom Elizabeth shortly after she found out she was pregnant. And Elizabeth was already about 6 months pregnant with John, so Jesus and John were about the same age.

Jesus gave himself to be baptized. It doesn’t seem like the whole conversation was recorded.  Elizabeth was quite advanced in age when she had John so it is likely that she was gone at this point.  But this was a gathering of faithful people right?  Like a church? If I know anything about church folk they like to chat and get caught up.  So I imagine John was asking how Mary was doing.  How are Jesus younger brothers doing now that Jesus left the family business, all the while knowing that Jesus is the son of God, that his younger cousin is the savior of the world?  It was a very special place that God put John.  To know Christ intimately as both family and as savior.
 Jesus went to the Jordan to be baptized by John.  John, knowing who Jesus is through and through protested, he thought that Jesus ought to baptize him. I would do the same. With the knowledge that John had of Jesus wouldn’t you have the same resistance?  Jesus didn’t need to be baptized; there was no old nature to cast off.  There was no sin that needed to be forgiven.  But Jesus made the public statement that day that he belonged to God. Not only was he making a statement but he was sanctifying his earthly existence.  He gave himself over to God and the Holy Spirit rested on him.
Then came those words.  “This is my Son, the beloved, with whom I am well pleased.”
What did that sound like? Was it booming from the clouds? Was it as if someone was yelling from a distance? 
Have you ever heard from God?  Have you ever been aware of God’s will in a specific way?  Have you ever noticed God’s action and working in the world?  How did it come to you?  Was it a booming voice from the clouds?  Or was it knowledge that came to you?  Or a feeling or an…epiphany?
However it happened. It was clear that Jesus was God’s son and God is well pleased. 
Do you know that God says the same about you?
You have been adopted and a child of God and our Lord Jesus Christ gives his righteousness to you. When God sees you sees the holiness of Jesus Christ.  Whatever sin you may have committed, he is willing and eager to forgive that sin when you come to Him in confession. God will dwell in you by the Holy Spirit when you become his child. Baptism is the door we walk through to have this wonderful relationship with God.  So today we reaffirm our baptism.  If you have never been baptized I invite you to come and receive the free gift of God’s grace. If you have been baptized you need never be baptized again.  God’s grace has been poured out on you and you are a child of God.  Paul says in the book of Romans that nothing can separate you from God’s love.  So why would we reaffirm our baptism? God remains faithful to God’s half of the covenant; we are not always faithful to our promises. Our half of the covenant is to confess Christ as our Savior, trust in his grace, serve him as Lord in the church, and carry out his mission against evil, injustice, and oppression.
The breath of life is in us.  When we were born and we drew our first breath, we have the life in us that God had granted.  That breath is a daily reality. Every day we celebrate that first breath with each successive breath.  We celebrate that first breath yearly on our birthday. We blow out the candles on the cake to show the breath of life is in us.  We appreciate life on a daily basis but that day is special.
On the day we were baptized we put to death our old nature; we share in Jesus death to the body new life as a child of God.  Every day we celebrate being a child of God.  But on this day the day of the Lords baptism we should celebrate our baptism as sort of our Spiritual birthday party since our life is in Him.
The vows that we took at baptism reflect the work that Jesus did on earth and calls us to carry on on his behalf. When you read the words try to envision what they will mean for you in the year to come. How can you live into these vows in a more intentional way? 
So how is it with you today?  May you always know that you are God’s beloved child and that in you he is well pleased? 
Today marks the 2-year anniversary of our little man coming
to live with us. I am so full of gratitude to God for this blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment