Wednesday, November 2, 2011

...Dragged a Comb Across My Head.

The life of the pastor as I have been living it for nearly six years now is much different than I imagined it would be.
I had delusions of a lifestyle of quiet contemplation. Though I do have those moments, they are far from being normative. Times of quiet, of prayer, of introspection and of contemplation all have to be intentionally carved out of a schedule that has many earthly demands.
I wake four of my children at 6 am to get ready for school. Then I sit and have my first, followed quickly by my second oversized cup of coffee. By 7 am after much moaning and gnashing of teeth we load up in the embarrassingly large family van and head a mile down the road to the bus stop.
Then I wake the little guy if he isn't already up and get him ready for a 7:45 bus pick-up. I get myself ready and head over to the church. Today, my dog, Pepper. Followed me. He's an old dog who has gone def and his sight is failing. But once and a while ( if we have given him his thyroid medicine and has had sufficient sleep) he will run and play with the kids.
I live very much in the "earthly" world. I deal with snot, paperwork, pride, poop and hurt feelings. In the midst of all that, if I pause and pay attention I can feel the love of God sustaining me. If I take the time to listen, I hear God directing me. If I have the courage to act out of faith rather than fear or selfish motivation I know God will use me.
Yes we live in a world that sets our attention on seemingly mundane things, but if we shift our focus slightly, we will see that the underlying structure of everything that IS, is of God. God lived among humanity, as Jesus, with an earthly body as so blessed this life that we live despite the less desirable (or even disgusting) parts.
As you seek truth, peace, love and the life that God intends for you, may you see see that you are blessed and love where you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment