Sunday, October 30, 2011

It's Between You and God

Matthew 23

The death of singer Amy Winehouse was caused by alcohol.  That was the report this week.  She died several weeks ago, and finally the cause of death was announced. One of Amy Winehouse’s most catchy tunes is “Rehab,” in that song the chorus says “they try to make me go to rehab. I say, “No, no, no.” Which in light of her alcohol caused death was strangely prophetic.  Often times we do not do the thing we ought to do for our own good.  And often we do the things that we should not do.
When we come to the end of our days on this earth, you will enter the life you have made for yourself for all of eternity.    It will be between you and God.  It won’t matter what your church did.  It won’t matter what happened to you as a kid.  It won’t matter how you did in School.  It won’t matter that you were dealt a bad hand in life or that you were mistreated by those around you.  It won’t matter that more of your deeds in life were good rather than bad, or vice versa.  At the end of your days as in every day until then it is all just between you and God, and that is a good thing.  Because you cannot control what happens outside of your own actions.  In your life have you known God; have you served God and your neighbors; in your life have you had an active relationship with the living Lord Jesus?  I don’t know what kind of relationship Amy Winehouse had with God.  Even if I did know I wouldn’t presume to know what happened to her after death.  That is not for us to judge.  That is between her and God.
Jesus once said "Not everyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, `I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!' Matthew 7:21-23
No one would want that. No one would want to be rejected by their teacher much less rejected by the author of creation.  Rejection is painful.
But that will be a matter that is between you and God.
There was a time before I was a pastor when Diane (my wife) and I owned and operated a restaurant together.  The economy in the town we had our business took a major hit when the 2500 jobs were lost when one employer moved their operation out of the country.   Our business dropped off significantly, so much so we decided to open on Sunday afternoons.  We loved God, we understood the concept of keeping the Sabbath holy, but the world crept in.  We had bills to pay, including 20 plus people on the payroll.   We didn’t open until after noon so that we and our employees could still go to worship. It was a difficult decision and I am not saying it was the right one.  But that is what we did.  A few weeks into this new schedule a man from the church, whom I had great respect for said, “I see you are open on Sundays now.”  I said yes.  Before abruptly walking away he said with a bit of a sneer “Anything to make a buck, huh?”
I wanted to say “Hey! That’s between me and God!” but didn’t because I respected him.  His words hurt. I looked up to him as a spiritual man and now he made it clear that he disapproved of my decision.  He judged me with out knowing why.  I still loved God.  I still prayed to God and trusted Jesus for my salvation.  He didn’t ask me that.  In his mind, I broke God’s law.  And so he rejected me and there was a rift in our relationship.  Is that what God meant when he gave his commandments? Did he mean them to be a weapon by which we may attack each other?
Jesus in his wisdom tells us to not look to each other for ultimate affirmation, but rather look to Him.  And he tells us not to take for ourselves those roles of ultimate authority, “You are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all students.  And call no one your father on earth, for you have one Father-the one in heaven. Nor are you to be called instructors, for you have one instructor, the Messiah.” Matthew 23:8-10.
Amy Winehouses’ song says, “I aint got the time.  My Daddy thinks I’m fine…I won’t go, go, go.” If her daddy thought she was fine, she should have been listening to her heavenly father.
Jesus was denouncing the religious leaders of the day. He was telling the crowd and his disciples that the Pharisees, who knew the law very well, make the law a burden to the people.  And they do nothing to help them.  Jesus called them out for using their position to benefit them, to gain favor and notoriety.  There is a pastor of a church out there telling his church to protest at soldiers’ funerals, causing further pain, suffering, and sorrow for people who are already in pain.  And they do it.  At the end of their life, each one will have to stand before God and answer for their actions.  If I ever tell you something that is contrary to eternal truths you are obligated to disregard it, because in the end it will be between you and God.
We are all brothers and sisters in Christ.  Not one of us is elevated above another. Jesus has made us “to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father” Revelation 1:6.  It really is a challenge to keep the notion that it really is just between you and God.
We see people that are clearly mature Christians living in difficult times but with an ever-present peace that can come only by having that relationship with God.  We also see people who are living lives contrary to God’s law and we see misery and shallowness.  It would seem our responsibility to condemn, to wag our finger. But it’s not.  Our responsibility is to offer Christ.  To pass on God’s love that was first shown to us.  What others do with it is between God and them.  Jesus said “The greatest among you will be your servant.”  Greatness is measured by Jesus in terms of servanthood.  Think for a moment who demonstrates a servant’s heart in this congregation.  Who, without self-promotion, serves?  I am sure there are many names coming to mind right now.  The name that comes to my mind is Nancy Houk.  She serves this congregation far beyond her job title as church secretary.   Now I’m not about to judge her relationship with God.  But by the measure that Jesus set, I would say that Nancy is producing good fruit.
Jesus calls us to be great.  Jesus calls us to transcend our earthly teachers and live a life of excellence.  So how do we get there? How do we live a life of excellence?
We get there by doing as St. Paul teaches in Romans chapter 12, Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.  Renew your mind. Make your mind new again.  Jesus said that we must have faith like that of children.  So don’t think of yourself as Rabbi, as teacher, or instructor.  Think instead of yourself as student, child, and disciple.  I could say we get there by being humble, but one cannot become humble by trying to be so.  Instead I say re-think your role in this life as a child of God.  Everyone you meet bears the image of God; honor the Spirit of God in each person.  Everyone you meet has something to teach.  What that is, is between them and God.  What you learn; what you take away from any encounter is between you and God.
So, how is it with you today on your journey through this life?  Have you missed a blessing or a lesson because you were too busy worrying about someone else’s journey.  May God open your heart and mind to what God is teaching you through your brothers and sisters.  Would you pray with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment