Thursday, May 28, 2015

A Psalm of the Homeless


Last week during my time at the Laundromat,  where I have partnered  with six people who are currently experiencing homelessness to proclaim the Gospel about Jesus Christ, we were discussing the Psalms.  We looked at the varied ways that the psalmist approached god (with thanksgiving, lament and praise). I encouraged them to try their hand at writing their own psalm, there on the spot. They all did and it was beautiful. It was personal. It was heart felt.

We met again yesterday and Randy composed a psalm for our time together. He worried out loud that it may not be the right structure but here it was anyway. So I had him read it to us. Here is Randy’s Psalm

“O, Lord, Almighty Heavenly Father,

I humbly come before your Holy presence in troubled spirit

With the city’s well-being upon my heart.

I see those not in touch with you

And others following a self-seeking path of future woes.

 

Though many are faithful and obedient to you,

I wonder of the destiny of this place.

Has it’s beacon been dimmed?

Has  it’s radiance waned and been unseen

By those in need and thirsty for you?

Are we far from shore,

rudderless to currents 0f temptation and unbelief?

Are we, your bride, without spot 

or wrinkle in your eyes Lord?

This community may be at water’s edge, 

But your living water alone can nourish

and satisfy it like no other.

 

I will stand fast in your armor

For this city’s future, praying that

You not cast us away.

Make us ready for your return-

Full of love for You and eagerly

Awaiting Your presence and life with you.

 

I will joyously sing Your majestic name 

with all my being for your faithfulness

and steadfastness to your  promises.

I eternally grateful for the grace,

Mercy and unfailing love You show

All who dwell here.

This City’s future purposes, it’s very

Lifeblood is in your all-powerful hands.

I am confident that thy will shall

Assuredly come to pass.

For the destiny of this community,

And for being the God that you are,

I ascribe to you, my Lord, all glory

And honor and praise forever.”

 

No comments:

Post a Comment