Thursday, May 14, 2015

Write Your Own Psalm step by step

That's right you can and should write your own psalm to God. Psalms are hymns that expresses any and every emotion that we have to God. Psalms are an act of worship. Here is a way of creating your own psalm in the pattern that is found in scriptures.

Let's look at a very short Psalm.

Psalm 117

Praise the LORD, all you nations!
  Extol him, all you peoples!

For great is his steadfast love
  toward us,
  And the faithfulness of the
Lord endures forever.

Praise the Lord!

This is a beautiful hymn of praise and a wonderful affirmation of who God is and our appreciation for the relationship we have with God.

Give it a try!

Steps to writing a psalm of praise:
1.  Address God. Make a declaration of who God is; make it an invitation for others to acknowledge this God who is above all others. (Hymn 117 does this by saying, "Praise the Lord, all you nations! Extol him all you peoples.

2. Proclaim God's mighty acts- acts of intervention in times of distress. (Psalm 117 v2: For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.)

3 Conclude with an affirmation of praise and indicate that praise will continue. (Praise the Lord!)


However, the witness to the relationship with our God and humanity is not all about positivity.  There are times when we don't feel like or even cannot bring ourselves to a song of praise because the pain of this human life is to heavy to bear.

The psalm of lament is just another hymn you will find in Holy Scriptures and just as legitimate as a form of worship and devotion as the psalm of praise. Lets take psalm 13 as our example:

How Long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever?
  How long will you hide you face from me?

How long must I bear pain in my soul,
And have sorrow in my heart all day long?
How long shall my enemy be exalted over me?

Consider and answer me, O Lord my God!
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death,
And my enemy will say, "I have prevailed!"; my foes
Will rejoice because I am shaken.

But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice
In your salvation

I will sing to the Lord, because he has dealt
Bountifully with me.


Steps to writing a psalm of complaint or lament:
1. Address and make your complaint to God. (How Long must I bear pain; have sorrow;)

2. petition God. Tell god what you want and what you fear will happen if you don't get it. (psalm. 13:3-4 "Consider and answer me, O Lord my God! Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep the sleep of death, and my enemy will say...)

3. Tell God of your trust (v. 5 "But I trusted in your steadfast love; my heart shall rejoice...)

4. As above conclude with praising God.

In both cases the psalm concludes with praise to God because God is the true object of our faith, devotion and worship. If we were to leave it with our praises and our complaints then it becomes about us.  Make it about God and God will dwell in you and bless you. 

Praise be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment